The Diabetic Condition

Diabetes disrupts the vascular system and can affect the legs and feet. Diabetic neuropathy can cause insensitivity or a loss of ability to feel pain, heat and cold. Diabetics suffering from neuropathy can develop minor cuts, scrapes, blisters, or pressure sores that they may not be aware of due to the insensitivity and if these minor injuries are left untreated, complications may result.

We Can Offer Relief

It is extremely important that people with diabetes pay particular attention to foot care. Properly fitting footwear can prevent foot problems, or avoid complications associated with diabetes. At Reuters, you will find a wide selection of footwear ideal for diabetics because they:

  • Are available in a variety of shapes that include a wide mid-foot area.
  • Have stretchable and moldable uppers that provide extra comfort.
  • Offer additional depth to reduce pressure on the foot, and to accommodate custom orthotics.
  • Have wide, easy-on-and-off openings, many with strap closures that reduce pressure points on sensitive areas.
Medicare Coverage

If you are a diabetic patient, it is important to know how you can obtain your supplies and get the items covered through Medicare. Under a law established in 1995, Medicare recipients with diabetes are eligible for coverage for therapeutic shoes and inserts. While not all Medicare patients can obtain this coverage through their plan, for patients with diabetes, the law mandates that Medicare cover the cost of the therapeutic shoes and inserts under what is known as the Therapeutic Shoe Bill, TSB.

If your doctor has recommended that you purchase therapeutic shoes and inserts as part of your diabetes care plan, you will want to be sure that the proper notes and documentation have been added to your file: Poor circulation, Peripheral neuropathy, Evidence of callousing, Ulceration, Amputation or Foot Deformity. With the prescription we can custom make your therapeutic shoes for you and will bill to Medicare directly for reimbursement. While you can only order one pair of shoes each calendar year, the Bill does provide for purchase of up to three custom-made shoe inserts each calendar year.

Medicare may pay 80% and insurance may pick up the other 20% for qualifying conditions.  This excludes deductibles.

To get your shoes and/or orthotics through Medicare, please see “Qualifying for Diabetic Footwear” on this page.

Brands We Carry
We carry an incredibly diverse selection of handsome shoes that provide the extra qualities that diabetic patients need. Come in soon and be fitted with a certified pedorthist for your optimum health.
Acor
Apis
Drew
Pedlite
Propet
PW Minor

  • Dr. Comfort Endurance Plus
  • Dr. Comfort Cindee
  • Brooks Beast
  • Dr. Comfort Captain
  • Dr. Comfort Victory
  • Brooks Dyad
  • Dr. Comfort Mike
  • Dr. Comfort Annie
  • Brooks Ariel
  • Dr. Comfort Sunshine
  • Dr. Comfort Betty
  • Brooks Addiction 11
  • Dr. Comfort Boss
  • Brooks Adrenaline
  • Brooks Addiction Walker
  • Dr. Comfort Robert
  • Dr. Comfort Wing
  • Dr. Comfort Winner Plus
  • Dr. Comfort Ptrick
  • Dr. Comfort Lindsey
  • Propet Scamper
  • Propet Steadywalker
  • Acor Drew Bryan
  • Pedlite Oliver
  • Pedlite Adele Austin
  • Acore Drew Rockford
  • Pedlite Debbie
  • Pedlite Connee
  • Pedlite Adele Austin
  • Pedlite Scott
  • Propet Pedwalker
  • Acor Drew Meadow
  • Propet Lakeport
  • Acor Deew Zippy
  • Propet Lifewalker
  • Propet Ladybug

Qualifying for Diabetic Footwear:

If you have diabetes and want to be sure you are doing the right thing with footwear, please stop in for a free consultation. In order to qualify for insurance submission for diabetic footwear, we will need the following:

Have a thorough foot examination performed by the doctor managing your diabetes.
Get a copy of the doctor’s notes from this evaluation. These notes must contain specific information concerning any foot complications you are experiencing due to the diabetes-i.e. ulceration, amputation, callusing, etc. (Neuropathy is NOT a qualifying condition.)
The Statement of Certifying Physician Form must be filled out completely, signed, and dated by the doctor managing your diabetes.
Bring in your Medicare and supplemental insurance cards along with photo identification.
Once you have all of the above information, call us to make an appointment with one of our pedorthists for a fitting. Some insurance companies such as Health Alliance also require preauthorization before we can dispense the shoes and/or inserts. If that is the case with your insurance, you may need to set up a followup appointment to get the shoes.